The primary reason SSL/TLS is used, is to keep sensitive information encrypted while being sent across the Internet, so that only the intended recipient can understand it.
This is important because the information you send on the Internet is passed from computer to computer to get to the destination server.
When your information isn’t encrypted, any computer between yours and the server can see your credit card numbers, username, passwords and other sensitive information.
OpenSSL is a software library for applications that secure communications over computer networks against eavesdropping or need to identify the party at the other end. It is widely used in Internet web servers, serving a majority of all web sites.
OpenSSL contains an open-source implementation of the SSL and TLS protocols. The core library, written in the C programming language, implements basic cryptographic functions and provides various utility functions. Wrappers allowing the use of the OpenSSL library in a variety of computer languages are available.
The advantages of OpenSSL on OCTEON:
- Cavium supllies an engine in their SDK for OpenSSL. This engine uses the hardware acceleration units of the Octeon processor to get maximum performance;
- Hardware acceleration support for symmetric exncryption 3DES, AES128, AES256 and DES (64 bit) ;
- Hardware acceleration support for hash functions MD5, SHA1, SHA224, SHA256, SHA384 and SHA512;
- Hardware acceleration support for public key functions DSA, DH, and RSA;
- Due to OCTEON architecture and Sirius setup, performance will increase linearly when activating multiple cores. Doubling the number of cores will double the performance;
- Runs on OCTEON I, II and III;
- Runs on OCTEON Linux;
- Works with SDK 2.x and SDK3.x;
Contact us to receive more information.contact us